Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fleatiny-8051 PCB
11-26-2013, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2013 10:49 AM by Fleasystems.)
New fleatiny-8051 PCB
Dear all,

Thought I'd share a sneak-pic of my latest 8051-based fleatiny - the pico (for want of a better name.. :-)

[Image: Flea8051_pico.jpg]

Specs:
50MIPS 8051 silabs microcontroller
64 or 128KBytes external SRAM
16-color VGA out
Separate composite video + stereo audio out
microSD slot
PS/2 Keyboard connector
USB slave port
10 x User GPIO

More to follow.. :-)

Valentin Angelovski
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2013, 12:09 AM
RE: New fleatiny-8051 PCB
What are the board dimensions, something like 4x4 cm?
11-27-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2013 01:48 PM by Fleasystems.)
Hi Carlsson!

(11-27-2013 12:09 AM)carlsson Wrote:  What are the board dimensions, something like 4x4 cm?

Approximate board dimensions are 3 x 3.7cm based on the above specs.

The board size may grow if any other major features are added, but as an entry-level design it is probably Ok?

Regards Valentin
12-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I haven't followed the development of other similar devices, how small they can be but 3 x 3.7 cm would be small enough for me. Actually the cables protruding from the board would be more in the way than the board itself. Smile
01-04-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 09:04 AM by Matej.)
Beautiful! So small. Can it be even smaller??? Without VGA and without PS/2 (using just standard USB mouse or USB keyboard maybe USB Gamepad)??? Maybe in future as "FleaYOCTO"?
01-04-2014, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 01:32 PM by Fleasystems.)
(01-04-2014 08:51 AM)Matej Wrote:  Can it be even smaller??? Without VGA and without PS/2 (using just standard USB mouse or USB keyboard maybe USB Gamepad)???

Connecting USB devices to the proposed new Fleatiny would only be possible by implementing a USB host interface in software (i.e. not easy to do). This is because the Silabs 8051 only has a dedicated USB slave port.

So, if I can integrate a software-only USB host port into the Silabs chip, then I would consider adding a USB host port as well.

As for VGA, it probably is overkill for this kind of thing, I agree Smile

Regards Valentin
01-05-2014, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 01:09 AM by Matej.)
Or maybe FleaYOCTO can be even smaller:

[Image: 1z6603s.jpg]

FleaYOCTO:
- FleaTiny 8051 core
- 64kb or 128kb external RAM
- Video Out+ Audio Out
/pal, ntsc - switch or software/
- micro SDcard
- GPIO /joysticks port/
- power adapter-in plug

PLUS: small PCB and few parts = lower price
MINUS: only for videogames and simple programs as music editor, joystick paint (but i think when there will be keyboard as on tablets you can add text with joystick too but not good for writing long texts)

NO VGA
NO PS/2
NO USB

Just using GPIO Pins together with arcade joystick and arcade pushbuttons (or simply standard atari joysticks wired to GPIO)...
Or it can be build into C64, ATARI joysticks or gamepads as well and so have very small tv game with SD...
01-05-2014, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 04:12 PM by Fleasystems.)
(01-05-2014 12:41 AM)Matej Wrote:  Or maybe FleaYOCTO can be even smaller:
PLUS: small PCB and few parts = lower price
MINUS: only for videogames and simple programs as music editor, joystick paint (but i think when there will be keyboard as on tablets you can add text with joystick too but not good for writing long texts)

Basically you're saying I should build a gaming console, i.e. this 'FleaYocto' you're talking about? Smile Well, given that there are already better alternatives to uzebox now it would be a very challenging exercise.

My proposed design can already accept two Atari-style joysticks via the GPIO header (i.e. 5 i/o per joystick x 2 = 10 i/o). Also, losing the PS/2 port doesn't save much in the way of $$$. However, dropping the VGA might save some $$$..

Anyway, my main goal for fleatiny (ie the purpose of this thread) is for a really cheap, (~$10-15) but useable computer. I'm already over budget with this design, let me have another look at it.

Regards Valentin
01-06-2014, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 09:08 PM by Fleasystems.)
PS/2
PS/2 is very good but I cant buy new PS/2 mouse here keyboard here in European shops (USB, WIFI or BLUETOOH only this days). So thats why I was asking about add USB support... Or even board make smaller board without PS/2.

ATARI JOY
Thats supercool! I didnt know that. That joysticks are very good. I think better than NES on UZEBOX... I use JOY for paint program on my ATARI 800 so it is possible to have there apps too...

COMPUTER VS. ARCADE
Yep I understand that your main idea was to make something like homecomputer. But I think this days will be neat to have smallest and cheapest game board too. There is UZEBOX but cost like new miniITX PC. There is RaspberryPI but thats no retro or 8bit at all (its more like PC and you must have Linux and Emulator and some Emulators runs slow etc etc)... There are consoles like BitBOX STM32 but they are in very early stage and there are no updates on their blog...

PRICE DROP
So how much will price drop without VGA and PS/2? Can be like plus minus 10USD?
Why not? Take it as game version of your homecomputer.

This idea is not new:
Google: AMSTRAD GX4000 or C64GS or Atari XEGS... They was first homecomputers
and than game consoles I mentioned. It is just idea. But maybe when you will like it you can do FleaYOCTO. Maybe I can help you with distribution it in EU (or maybe talk with Lotharek or maybe Olimex for licenced manufacturing here in EU)...

But maybe fist will be more interesting that 68000 core on FleaFPGA.

Fleasystems Mod Edit: Spam links removed - please read our forum rules
01-06-2014, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 10:36 AM by Fleasystems.)
(01-06-2014 01:25 AM)Matej Wrote:  Maybe I can help you with distribution it in EU (or maybe talk with..

Please send me a PM or email. Thanks!

Regards Valentin