Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FleaFPGA 68K SOC
01-04-2014, 08:41 AM
FleaFPGA 68K SOC
What are exact specs? I own Atari ST. So this 68K core looks very beautiful to me... Is there soundchip too?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 07:39 PM by Fleasystems.)
RE: FleaFPGA 68K SOC
(01-04-2014 08:41 AM)Matej Wrote:  What are exact specs? I own Atari ST. So this 68K core looks very beautiful to me... Is there soundchip too?

Specs of the 68K SoC example for FleaFPGA are as follows:

- CPU: TG68 'Tobiflex' 68000-compatible CPU running @ 50MHz (which appears to be roughly equivalent to a real 68000 CPU running @ 25-30MHz. I get ~1.9 Dhrystone v2.1 MIPS using this core..).
- DRAM: 16MBytes are visible to TG68 as system and video buffer RAM
- VGA: Combined 640x480 256-color graphics and 80x25 character text overlay screen mode.
- Vertical graphics scrolling and mouse hardware cursor support
- MMC/SD card and UART support
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse supported

There is no audio out support in the downloadable example unfortunately, though that may be added at a later date.

Biggest problem with this SoC example is there's only ~15% free space remaining on the FPGA, which is not good. If the TG68 can be substituted for the J68 CPU, then it might be possible to fit a complete Atari-ST clone into the FleaFPGA Big Grin

Regards Valentin
01-05-2014, 12:16 AM
(01-04-2014 12:17 PM)Fleasystems Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 08:41 AM)Matej Wrote:  What are exact specs? I own Atari ST. So this 68K core looks very beautiful to me... Is there soundchip too?

Specs of the 68K SoC example for FleaFPGA are as follows:

- CPU: TG68 'Tobiflex' 68000-compatible CPU running @ 50MHz (which appears to be roughly equivalent to a real 68000 CPU running @ 25-30MHz. I get ~1.9 Dhrystone v2.1 MIPS using this core..).
- DRAM: 16MBytes are visible to TG68 as system and video buffer RAM
- VGA: Combined 640x480 256-color graphics and 80x25 character text overlay screen mode.
- Vertical graphics scrolling and mouse hardware cursor support
- MMC/SD card and UART support
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse supported

There is no audio out support in the downloadable example unfortunately, though that may be added at a later date.

Biggest problem with this SoC example is there's only ~15% free space remaining on the FPGA, which is not good. If the TG68 can be substituted for the J68 CPU, then it might be possible to fit a complete Atari-ST clone into the FleaFPGA Big Grin

Regards Valentin

Uff that much better than my 16MHz Atari Mega ST1 with 4MB Ram. Better graphics. Twice speed or maybe more. 256 colors, SD card, PS/2... I was thinking about simple DAC 16bit or 8bit in FPGA or just as add-on sound board (GPIO)... For playing MODs...

I dont want to have Atari ST clone. But rather use that 68K SOC as computer.
I will tell about it to my Atari and Linux friends.
01-05-2014, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 12:37 PM by Fleasystems.)
(01-05-2014 12:16 AM)Matej Wrote:  Uff that much better than my 16MHz Atari Mega ST1 with 4MB Ram. Better graphics. Twice speed or maybe more. 256 colors, SD card, PS/2... I was thinking about simple DAC 16bit or 8bit in FPGA or just as add-on sound board (GPIO)... For playing MODs...

I dont want to have Atari ST clone. But rather use that 68K SOC as computer.
I will tell about it to my Atari and Linux friends.

There's no need to hack the GPIO port - you should be able to use the on-board stereo audio connector, once I include some VHDL code to add stereo PWM DAC capability in the 68K_SoC example of course.. Wink

Regards Valentin
01-06-2014, 01:39 AM
OK thats very nice! Lets call that sound upgraded FleaFPGA 68K core "Froghopper" Smile.
Since they are best jumpers after Fleas Smile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
(01-06-2014 01:39 AM)Matej Wrote:  OK thats very nice! Lets call that sound upgraded FleaFPGA 68K core "Froghopper" Smile.
Since they are best jumpers after Fleas Smile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper

According to that Wikipedia article Froghoppers are even proportionally better jumpers. Which matches the more powerful Flea FPGA compared to the tiny FleaTiny & the in-between Flea86.

Would I be right to guess the original Atari ST didn't offer separate text overlay above the graphics? If I haven't misunderstood, that sounds like something that could make some programs a lot easier to write.
01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
(01-08-2014 01:04 PM)Oh!thePain! Wrote:  Would I be right to guess the original Atari ST didn't offer separate text overlay above the graphics? If I haven't misunderstood, that sounds like something that could make some programs a lot easier to write.

Yes it would help. Also helpful are the linear byte-wide addressing of pixels in the video buffer (also known as 'chunky' graphics).

In related news, I have created a new (and elegant in my opinion) four-channel sound module for use with M68K SoC Smile Trying to write some demo c code to go with it currently..

Regards Valentin
01-13-2014, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 06:15 AM by Matej.)
Quote:In related news, I have created a new (and elegant in my opinion) four-channel sound module for use with M68K SoC Smile Trying to write some demo c code to go with it currently..

Wow nice! So MOD files will be possible! Good tool for MOD music is Milkytracker http://www.milkytracker.org/ for Windows and Fasttracker2 http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13350 for MS-DOS and modules http://modarchive.org/.
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:In related news, I have created a new (and elegant in my opinion) four-channel sound module for use with M68K SoC Smile Trying to write some demo c code to go with it currently..

Sound module is now done! Smile I have uploaded a test video of the FleaFPGA prototype, putting the 68K SoC through it's paces with some demo code:

Regards,
Valentin Angelovski
01-18-2014, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2014 09:35 AM by Matej.)
Amazing Valentin!
Ahh I remember this from my Amiga 600...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJNGwIcLtw
I will write you email during weekend.
Soundcodec sounds very very nice!!!
Thanks for video and news update...