Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "I've got mine" thread
04-29-2014, 12:43 AM
The "I've got mine" thread
As the title says - I've got mine! Actually it arrived yesterday, on Sunday, but I wasn't home. Apparently the Japanese post office attempts home deliveries even on Sundays, that's pretty good. Except that I didn't know, so I wasn't home.. but I picked it up today.
No time to play yet as I'm just about to travel again, but it sure looks great. Looking forward to begin.

-Tor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
RE: The "I've got mine" thread
(04-29-2014 12:43 AM)Tor Wrote:  As the title says - I've got mine! Actually it arrived yesterday, on Sunday, but I wasn't home. Apparently the Japanese post office attempts home deliveries even on Sundays, that's pretty good. Except that I didn't know, so I wasn't home.. but I picked it up today.
No time to play yet as I'm just about to travel again, but it sure looks great. Looking forward to begin.

-Tor

Me too, I just got home after 3 weeks in California working on a project and am exhausted. I will have to take some time to try it out this weekend. It looks good, there is some flux left on the through hole connectors but no biggy.
05-05-2014, 03:29 AM
I took a few minutes to install the jtag utility attached to the email and load the pong demo this morning, I wasn't actually able to play it I am guessing that a ps2 keyboard needs to be attached to control it, but it did just start instantly when powered on and looks like it is working flawlessly.
There are links to pictures of my board and the demo running below.

pong demo running on flea fpga pic.

production fpga board pic.
05-05-2014, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 01:13 PM by Fleasystems.)
(05-05-2014 03:29 AM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  I am guessing that a ps2 keyboard needs to be attached to control it

Correct. With the Pong demo example included with the FleaFPGA JTAG utility, an external VGA monitor and PS/2 Keyboard need to be connected.

To move the paddles in the demo, use keys A/Z and K/M to control left and right paddles respectively.

Regards Valentin
05-06-2014, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 08:06 PM by carlsson.)
FWIW, it appears not every PS/2 keyboard will work or perhaps I catched a red herring last weekend. At home, my black IBM SK-8820 keyboard works great both on its own and through a KVM (not with a PS/2 joiner/splitter though, still haven't figured it out) but when I tried with a cheaper Labtec keyboard, it was not recognized by the X86 core although the keyboard donor said it used to work perfectly with his PC at home.

I don't know what the differences might be, but if any of you have issues with the keyboard, try a different one!
05-07-2014, 02:09 AM
Fortunately I had a an old PS2 Microsoft KB lying around in my pile of stuff and its working fine with the pong demo.

(05-06-2014 08:05 PM)carlsson Wrote:  FWIW, it appears not every PS/2 keyboard will work or perhaps I catched a red herring last weekend. At home, my black IBM SK-8820 keyboard works great both on its own and through a KVM (not with a PS/2 joiner/splitter though, still haven't figured it out) but when I tried with a cheaper Labtec keyboard, it was not recognized by the X86 core although the keyboard donor said it used to work perfectly with his PC at home.

I don't know what the differences might be, but if any of you have issues with the keyboard, try a different one!
09-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Got mine on Tuesday Smile

I was frantically digging around the house trying to locate old PS/2 keyboards. Was surprised that most of mine have been thrown out.

Used a USB -> PS2 adapter, didn't work. Finally found a old wireless PS2 Logitech k/b that worked fine. phew!

Currently running Next186 and its sweet indeed!
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 03:21 PM by Fleasystems.)
(05-06-2014 08:05 PM)carlsson Wrote:  FWIW, it appears not every PS/2 keyboard will work or perhaps I catched a red herring last weekend.

(09-25-2014 10:58 AM)GStandard Wrote:  Used a USB -> PS2 adapter, didn't work. Finally found a old wireless PS2 Logitech k/b that worked fine. phew!

I've done some digging around this, and posted some findings in the Next186 thread. Thanks!

Regards Valentin
09-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Hi everybody !

I also got mine about a week ago.

I wish to learn VHDL/Verilog and FPGA's thru this small board.

Just playing around with the "ready to go" stuff for now.

10-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Got mine 10 days ago. Starting to play with it... Looks promising!