Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "I've got mine" thread
05-15-2015, 03:21 PM
RE: The "I've got mine" thread
Got mine like one month ago. Finally I got time to install Lattice Diamond and play with the samples.
I was able to compile (do you use the verb "compile" in FPGA?) and upload them to the FPGA and they work Ok.

I tried to make the second led blink by adding some VHDL code (BTW, I know nothing about VHDL)... and I failed... VHDL is not easy to learn.

I do not have a PS2 keyboard with me... but if I find a cheap on eBay, I'll get one.

Is anyone uploading tests/samples to github? thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: The "I've got mine" thread
Hello and welcome to the forum!

(05-15-2015 03:21 PM)ricardoquesada Wrote:  do you use the verb "compile" in FPGA?

I believe the term used is 'synthesize' or 'synthesis' rather than compile.

(05-15-2015 03:21 PM)ricardoquesada Wrote:  I tried to make the second led blink by adding some VHDL code (BTW, I know nothing about VHDL)... and I failed... VHDL is not easy to learn.

VHDL Is not too hard to learn, provided you are comfortable with the general style/structure and can also understand it's intent i.e. to configure the FPGA (in this case, a Lattice MachXO2) to perform specific digital logic and/or computational functions. My Quickstart guide mentions several VHDL reference books, but you can also find an on-line book called 'Free Range VHDL' by Bryan Mealy and Fabrizio Tappero.

If VHDL is not your cup of tea, there's always Verilog Smile

Then there are other things you will also need to learn, for example:
- Knowing your way around the Lattice Diamond software
- Understanding or Interpreting any timing reports generated by the synthesis (very important!)
- Simulating your custom HDL project using the Aldec HDL simulator.
- Familiar with the core logic and IO architecture of the Lattice MachXO2 FPGA.

(05-15-2015 03:21 PM)ricardoquesada Wrote:  Is anyone uploading tests/samples to github? thanks.

I only know of one so far - https://github.com/Tsillen/OrgelVHDL

However, you will also find more VHDL examples in the following sub-forum in the form of file attachments: http://www.fleasystems.com/forums/forumd...php?fid=16

Good luck! Smile

Cheers Valentin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply