Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flea FPGA JTAG programmer not showing in Diamond
05-07-2014, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 02:44 AM by TimMcD0n41d.)
Flea FPGA JTAG programmer not showing in Diamond
I walked through the user guide and was able to load the Pong .vme using the JTAG utility in a standalone fashion but when I go to program using Lattice Diamond the Flea FPGA JTAG programmer is not showing only "Programmer (Default)" shows.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: Flea FPGA JTAG programmer not showing in Diamond
(05-07-2014 02:43 AM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  I walked through the user guide and was able to load the Pong .vme using the JTAG utility in a standalone fashion but when I go to program using Lattice Diamond the Flea FPGA JTAG programmer is not showing only "Programmer (Default)" shows.

Derp.
I see now I opened the FleaFPGA JTAG utility from the start menu and pointed it at the xcf and it programmed the board, at that point it clicked that the JTAG utility didn't install itself and that unless I told Diamond where the utility exe was after right clicking and then clicking "open with" it wouldn't work. So
05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
(05-07-2014 08:51 AM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 02:43 AM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  I walked through the user guide and was able to load the Pong .vme using the JTAG utility in a standalone fashion but when I go to program using Lattice Diamond the Flea FPGA JTAG programmer is not showing only "Programmer (Default)" shows.

Derp.
I see now I opened the FleaFPGA JTAG utility from the start menu and pointed it at the xcf and it programmed the board, at that point it clicked that the JTAG utility didn't install itself and that unless I told Diamond where the utility exe was after right clicking and then clicking "open with" it wouldn't work. So

Yep. This is why I have the installation order as shown in the Quickstart Guide (i.e. that Lattice Diamond be installed first before the FleaFPGA JTAG utility etc.).

Sections 5.3-iv and 7.5-viii-ix and also the Note at the end of page 24 specifically relate to the integration of the FleaFPGA utility with Lattice Diamond.

If you've installed Lattice Diamond after the FleaFPGA JTAG utility, simply uninstall the JTAG utility and then re-install as per the Quickstart Guide. This should only take you a few minutes. Then you will be able to properly configure Lattice Diamond for programming, also as per the Quickstart Guide.

Also, a reminder when configuring the JTAG programmer from within Lattice Diamond: Please select the "FLASH Program’" and NOT "FLASH Erase/Program/Verify" option as required by the FleaFPGA JTAG. Thankyou!

Regards Valentin
05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
(05-07-2014 11:56 AM)Fleasystems Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 08:51 AM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  

Derp.

Yep. This is why I have the installation order as shown in the Quickstart Guide (i.e. that Lattice Diamond be installed first before the FleaFPGA JTAG utility etc.).

Sections 5.3-iv and 7.5-viii-ix and also the Note at the end of page 24 specifically relate to the integration of the FleaFPGA utility with Lattice Diamond.

If you've installed Lattice Diamond after the FleaFPGA JTAG utility, simply uninstall the JTAG utility and then re-install as per the Quickstart Guide. This should only take you a few minutes. Then you will be able to properly configure Lattice Diamond for programming, also as per the Quickstart Guide.

Also, a reminder when configuring the JTAG programmer from within Lattice Diamond: Please select the "FLASH Program’" and NOT "FLASH Erase/Program/Verify" option as required by the FleaFPGA JTAG. Thankyou!

Regards Valentin
Thanks for the warning, I am guessing that will brick the board? I like that I can have a program in flash and program the FPGA quickly using the SRAM then power cycle the board and have the flash configuration return.
05-07-2014, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 01:36 PM by Fleasystems.)
(05-07-2014 12:02 PM)TimMcD0n41d Wrote:  I am guessing that will brick the board?

Not at all. It is a requirement for efficient and optimal operation of FleaFPGA's JTAG hardware.

Regards Valentin