Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native USB Keyboard Support
09-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Native USB Keyboard Support
Would be good to have native USB keyboard support, even though its probably easier to interface with PS2.

Perhaps sell an optional PS2 -> USB adapter that's known to be compatible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: Native USB Keyboard Support
USB HID and PS/2 are quite different protocols, so those converters you get with some keyboards aren't actually converting anything except for some rewiring. Those keyboards are dual-protocol and sense if they are talking to a USB host or a PS/2 host. Essentially all USB keyboards were dual-protocol in the past, these days many are USB only and won't work with PS/2 at all. So to support USB keyboards you will need something which can be a USB host, although it'll only have to handle a subset of protocols (HID for keyboards and mouse). That could maybe be done in the FPGA, or by other means - some PIC chips have built-in USB host support, for example.

Lots of retro projects run into this nowadays as it gets harder and harder to find PS/2 keyboards. My Silicon Graphics keyboard works fine with everything though, my only worry is if somebody decides to throw it away when they see this old keyboard laying around.. (with so many new shiny USB keyboards nearby)

-Tor
09-29-2014, 11:27 AM
RE: Native USB Keyboard Support
Thanks Tor for the detailed explaination. I was reading on up the issue before, and found the same reasons. Was thinking of using a small micro for PS/2 <-> USB interface only for k/b.

Ha! I too have a SGI PS2 keyboard at my parents house. I better go and rescue it before they chuck it out.