Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FM Radio receiver demo!
10-29-2014, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 12:16 AM by Fleasystems.)
FM Radio receiver demo!
Hello All,

Well, here's something a of a new and interesting addition to FleaFPGA's potential usefulness.. Smile

As the thread title suggests, I have managed to get a working FM radio receiver demo using an FleaFPGA using nothing more than a few passive components and aerial! (please read on..).

I was previously inspired to attempt this example on FleaFPGA, after seeing this thread posted a while back by one of the moderators of that forum.

I also remembered some fun times (20 years ago) tinkering with the TDA7000 FM radio IC and wondered if it would be possible to do the same with the MachXO2 on FleaFPGA?

Well, turns out that it is! Smile I am amazed it even works at all, given fact that I am, in effect, using only a 1-bit ADC (implemented using some differential logic pins on the FPGA) to sample the incoming RF carrier! Following is a link to the video demo:

More to follow, including schematics and bit-files for you to try out on your very own flea board - watch this space!

Regards Valentin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 01:41 AM by Fleasystems.)
RE: FM Radio receiver demo!
Hello again!

I have managed to tidy up the FM radio example and make it available for other FleaFPGA users to try out on their boards (see attached). The attached file contains the following:

1.) "FleaFPGA Digital Radio Example README.TXT" *** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!! ***
2.) "FleaFPGA Digital Radio Example Schematic.PDF" contains the circuit schematic for the front-end circuit that plugs into the GPIO header on the FleaFPGA board
3.) Zipped archive of the entire Lattice Diamond project associated with the demo (including VHDL source code).

Please check out the readme and if it looks to be of interest you are welcome to give it a go. Happy experimenting! Smile

Regards Valentin

Attached File(s)
.7z  FleaFPGA_FM_Radio_example.7z (Size: 1.66 MB / Downloads: 10)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply