Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next186 COM port bounty..
11-12-2014, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 12:36 PM by Fleasystems.)
Next186 COM port bounty..
Hello fellow tinkerers!

I have received a number of requests of late around the possible inclusion of a PC compatible COM port into the Next186 soft-core as used on FleaFPGA. Because Next186's author has been busy with work-related projects for a while now, I had then decided to attempt the work myself. However, due to personal commitments my own effort will now not be ready for a while yet.. Undecided

In light of the above, I am considering putting up a bounty as a reward for someone to successfully integrate either Lattice's 16450 UART IP module or some other 8250/16450 UART (16650 solution is Ok *provided* it doesn't occupy more than a 200-300 LUTs on the MachXO2).

Next186's bus interface is neither wishbone-based nor is it asynchronous, which makes the job a wee bit harder though not impossible by any means.

Needless to say, the inclusion of a PC-compatible serial port would make Next186 even more capable and useful. I for one would very much like the prospect of connecting up those cheap WiFi serial modules up to the flea for some retro-x86-based networking action! Of course, that would require a custom network packet driver (or perhaps even modification of the ESP8266's firmware to behave like a standard Hayes-AT modem!), but let's deal with one problem at a time.. Smile

I would like to pledge an initial amount as a starting point and anyone who is interested in seeing this happen are welcome to make their own kind contributions towards the cause. Thoughts?

Regards Valentin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply