Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing FleaFPGA Uno
09-14-2015, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 08:10 PM by Fleasystems.)
Introducing FleaFPGA Uno
Hello tinkerers! Smile

It's been a while since my last post here, so I thought I'd share with you what I have been up to of late.

Give the success of my FleaFPGA experimenters board, I was encouraged to attempt a design that:

1.) Covered features not found on my existing hardware.
2.) Simpler, lower-cost option to complement (but not replace) the original FleaFPGA offering.
3.) Offers Arduino™-style R3 Compatibility, at least on the hardware level (albeit for 3.3V-compatible shields only, but still).

So, after a few months of behind-the-scenes tinkering, here's my new (and lower-cost) "FleaFPGA Uno" board:

[Image: FleaUno_E1.jpg]

[Image: FleaUno_E1_bottom.jpg]

Basic Specifications:
  • Lattice MachXO2-7000 FPGA.
  • Digital Video out.
  • Configurable PS2 or USB host interface.
  • 512KB x 8 fast 10ns SRAM (Expandable to 2MByte)
  • 16MByte user SPI Flash ROM.
  • Composite analog video and stereo audio (AV) out.
  • Six high-speed ADC and also 16 x Digital GPIO.
  • Optional WIFI interface (ESP8266).

Regarding software: Very recently the excellent FPGArduino/F32c project was successfully ported to the FleaFPGA Uno platform.
My original intent for FleaFPGA Uno was to use my own Sweet32 CPU softcore.

Also, just for fun I ported minimal examples of existing Apple2 and zx81 retro systems to the FleaFPGA Uno. Other retro systems that require external SRAM (not DRAM) could also be made to work on the new hardware..

As for the estimated (USD$) cost for the FleaFPGA Uno, that is looking to be around $50 with 512KB SRAM installed or $60 including the WiFi option.

Well that's all for now. Further details to follow regarding availability among other news. Please keep an eye out for further news and thanks for reading!

Regards,
Valentin Angelovski
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Arduino is a registered trademark of their respective owners. My project is not affiliated with them in any way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 04:13 PM by Fleasystems.)
RE: Introducing FleaFPGA Uno
Hello again. Smile

Good news! After passing several rounds of in-house testing, I am pleased to announce that I now have a limited number of FleaFPGA Uno boards available for ordering. Please contact me for order details if you haven't already done so. Thanks.

In related news, I am currently adding a FleaFPGA Uno project page to the main site. This will include video demos of the FleaFPGA Uno in action etc. Will post an update around this hopefully very soon.

More to follow.. Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Valentin Angelovski
12-26-2015, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 11:44 PM by Fleasystems.)
RE: Introducing FleaFPGA Uno
Seasons Greetings! Smile

Thankyou to all of those who purchased a FleaFPGA Uno board from me. Following milestones reached thus far for FleaFPGA Uno:

- All FleaFPGA Uno pre-production boards are now completely sold out.
- FleaFPGA Uno's user manual is at a 'tried and tested' revision, thanks to feedback from FleaFPGA Uno members.
- F32c SoC for the FleaFPGA Uno platform has now been merged with the main F32c github repository.

Unfortunately, not all of the news is good. Recent personal events (i.e. 'life') have forced me to put my homebrew projects on hold indefinitely until I can return to some sense of normality again. These have also had the added drawback of placing major financial constraints on me going forward with respect to follow-on production runs etc..

To complicate matters, there was a far less than expected rate of enquiries on the back of the recent (and well-written) Hackaday article. I was disappointed by this, but that's life..

Given the above, I am likely not going to make any decision on follow-on production until well into the new year.

Thankyou once again for all your interest and support of my crazy homebrew projects. Happy Holidays - hopefully with some hacking involved! Wink

Regards,
Valentin Angelovski.