Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial status
02-19-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 12:32 PM by Fleasystems.)
Initial status
Hello all,

I've been meaning to post this up for a while now, but I have made something of a start on the Fleatiny FPGA version.

Following is a screen grab of the PCB artwork, along with some preliminary specs:

[Image: Fleatiny_FPGA1.jpg]

Basic specifications:

* 4096-color VGA output
* 400K-gate FPGA(?)
* 32MBytes SDRAM
* PWM audio out
* SD card port
* PS/2 Keyboard port
* 14-General Purpose I/O header(?)
* JTAG header
* +5V DC jack or 3.6V battery header

comments invited! Smile

Regards Valentin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
RE: Initial status
I keep forgetting, is this the version that eventually will go into production, or will both models be available? Do you have a date when it is supposed to be possible to order?
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
(05-16-2013 12:24 AM)carlsson Wrote:  I keep forgetting, is this the version that eventually will go into production, or will both models be available? Do you have a date when it is supposed to be possible to order?

Hi Carlsson!

Thanks for your question - it has been quite a while since I made my initial status post and I apologise to all for not posting another update sooner..

I have since redesigned the PCB to accomodate a more suitable FPGA variant and saw the opportunity to add some more features to the current design. These include:

1.) A USB host port.
2.) On-board JTAG programming circuit for the FPGA
3.) More user GPIO, as well as on-board user switch/LEDs
4.) More powerful onboard PSU
5.) Plus more.. :-)

I will post screen-shots of the new PCB version in the next few days, as well as availability and other details.

Regards Valentin
05-29-2013, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 10:50 AM by Fleasystems.)
Hello again!

Well, it's been nearly two weeks since my last update, but I've finally completed my 4th (EDIT: actually 5th now) revision of Fleatiny FPGA.

[Image: Fleatiny_2v1.png]

(Revised 4/06/2013) features list:
----------------------------------------
- VGA or component video out via the 15-way D-connector
- Stereo Audio out
- USB Host port
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse port (both available usng Y-splitter cable)
- USB slave port (can function either as a serial port or JTAG programmer for the FPGA)
- 1MByte on-board SPI ROM
- 32/64MBytes SDRAM (16-bit wide datapath)
- SD/MMC interface
- JTAG programming header
- 4 x user LED's
- 2 x user push-buttons
- 18 user IO pins available via GPIO header
- PCB size: 65 x 55mm roughly..

EDIT: I have also developed a separate version of the above, though that has DVI and composite as video out options.

More to follow. Right now however, I need to review this design and then get a couple made up.. :-)

Regards,
Valentin Angelovski
07-20-2013, 04:05 AM
Have you changed much since this 5th revision?

If I can judge from a Google Shopping search for JTAG adaptors it seems you need one specific to the processor or FPGA manufacturer? Would it be practical to load the configuration from SD or via USB or is that like asking Frankenstein's monster to bend over so you can insert his brain?
07-24-2013, 02:53 AM
(07-20-2013 04:05 AM)Oh!thePain! Wrote:  Have you changed much since this 5th revision?
Not beyond what was previously stated, no.

(07-20-2013 04:05 AM)Oh!thePain! Wrote:  If I can judge from a Google Shopping search for JTAG adaptors it seems you need one specific to the processor or FPGA manufacturer? Would it be practical to load the configuration from SD or via USB or is that like asking Frankenstein's monster to bend over so you can insert his brain?
Most FPGA vendors nowadays provide toolchain support for 3rd-party (or your own) JTAG interfaces built around dedicated USB interface chips ie FT2232 etc.

It is theoretically possible to re-program FPGA via SD or USB flash-based images, but a loader would need to be written in both cases. No, we are looking at possibly doing this via more user-friendly means.. ;-)

Regards Valentin
07-31-2013, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 02:19 AM by Fleasystems.)
It's Alive!!! :D :D :D
First pics of Fleatiny FPGA prototype #2 up and running:

[Image: Its_alive_small.jpg]

[Image: Its_alive_screen.jpg]

More to follow.. Smile

Regards Valentin
09-04-2013, 03:41 AM
RE: It's Alive!!! :D :D :D
Looking good!
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 06:47 PM by Fleasystems.)
I know from elsewhere that Fleasystems was awaiting final (pre-production) FPGA boards to test on Sep 17. And that if they passed it would be time to choose what path to take. Huh

(Edited by fleasystems - Site-related comments moved to suggestions forum)
09-30-2013, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 02:44 AM by Fleasystems.)
(09-30-2013 03:39 PM)Oh!thePain! Wrote:  I know from elsewhere that Fleasystems was awaiting final (pre-production) FPGA boards to test on Sep 17. And that if they passed it would be time to choose what path to take. Huh

Correct. Those boards arrived later that day and (when I managed to find the time - this is still a hobby project currently) tested them on the 24th and passed OK. I have started a new thread covering the latest update.

Regards Valentin