Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video or terminal out
07-20-2013, 03:44 AM
Video or terminal out
VGA & Composite suit me as that's what my pico projector wants. But I'd be at least as happy if I can use my Nokia n900 as some kind of terminal to a flea. (It's got micro-USB, Infra-Red that isn't IrDa, Bluetooth & WiFi but no current loop, IEE-488, HP-IL, ethernet or RS232). Tongue

Eventually if not already more customers may have HDMI inputs than anything else but I now feel you should avoid such closed standards & their cartels, even if you believe you are legally safe, as a non-profit flea.

What counts isn't facts but what a court of their choosing can be persuaded by expensive lawyers. Perhaps you will never be big enough to matter to them but there is this concept of dilution of IP that lawyers use to justify suing over breaches that the rights holder is NOT upset by.
Most the flat screen TVs & entertainment media monitors I've looked at have VGA connectors & almost all have composite input but I've been looking at small screens.

A single link DVI-D source can drive a 1080p HDMI display so that is another way to go which may require some customers to buy an expensive (& hard to get?) adapter cable but keeps your flea's nose clean. And passive DVI-A to VGA adaptors are a few $ at computer swap meets or presumably online.

On technical & legal grounds grounds DisplayPort would be a good path to follow beyond the limitations of Composite, VGA & even HDMI. But maybe DisplayPort monitors will never be common. MHL would be technically apt but legally it looks to me too much like HDMI.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply